Sunday, June 10, 2012

Logic who?

Just being honest here - that is what one of my mentors in AA always says before she says something difficult.  I like it.  

We are cleaning out our storage area in the basement.  Waking up too early (as usual) this morning, I started back in and found wine stashed.  We found a couple bottles last night too, but they were empty, so this was...hard.  I left it alone, looking up once in a while to stare.  My mouth actually watered, my stomach grumbled...I could taste the wine, feel it on my tongue, feel the warmth spread in my tummy.  I finally called my mom (didn't really expect her to answer) just to hear her voice tell me to leave a message and bucked up enough to pour it down the bathroom sink.  The smell was heavenly, like a long forgotten friends perfume - I wanted to hold a towel over my head and just breath it.

"Alcoholism is the only disease that tells you you're all right."  One of the MANY slogans you hear in AA, one that rings very true.

With summer here and a lot of people in my neighborhood drinking outside, I have been thinking that since I have never been able to quit for any length of time and now I have done it (my first mistake, thinking I did it all by myself), maybe I can also make the decision to moderate my drunkenness.  Getting drunk only twice a month or something.  I have already decided I don't want to be a casual drinker - one or two glasses of wine at night is a waste of time, money and calories.  Truly, why does anyone just drink a couple?  But if I can just control myself enough to only get smashed a couple of nights a month, that would be OK, right?  No drinking during the day, no drinking on the job - put the kids to bed, let my hubs know it's game on and start slamming wine until I've had my (newly decided limit) two bottles.  I get to turn off the brain, listen to music loudly, dance party in the garage, wake up hungover with him (in my little perfect world, he would love this idea and get drunk with me) and we would complain the next day about how horrible we feel, eat a really fattening dinner and I wouldn't touch the stuff again until the next planned night.  Sounds so perfect - but then, what if?  What if AA is right and I will start right where I left off?  What if I have to drink one of the mornings of the hangovers and never stop.  What if I can't control it again and I pass out during the day and one of my kids wanders into the street.  What if someone stops by unannounced while I am blitzed and calls CPS.  What if I leave them alone to run to Kroger for more wine and see someone I know there?  What if I have a seizure from suddenly introducing alcohol again to my system in huge amounts and die, leaving my kids to fend for themselves until he gets home from work?  What if what if what if.....is it really worth it?  Logically, I am healthy, I'm running in the mornings, I'm eating right, my system is recovering - and, most importantly, I am starting to enjoy living without drinking, which is amazing!  But, a lot of times, running the risk seems worth finding out.  I realize, to some people, this doesn't make sense.  (Reading this back to myself, I am one of those people.)  For years now I have been reading books and memoirs about addiction (another clue that I knew the problem was there) and more than a few have pointed out that addiction is stronger than motherly instinct, stronger than the instinct of self-preservation.  I have to put faith in the fact that this is one of those times.  I need to crank it up a notch, call my sponsor, call whoever, go to meetings, work the steps and (God willing) this too shall pass.  Just don't take that first drink. 

Page 24 from the Big Book:

"The tragic truth is that if the man be a real alcoholic...he has lost control. At a certain point in the drinking of every alcoholic, he passes into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail. This tragic situation has already arrived in practically every case long before it is suspected."

"The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink."

I have come to believe that this passage is not speaking of only the drinker that drinks everyday or all day, but the drinker that suspects there may be a problem, but is still having fun most of the time.  The drinker that says "I will not drink during the week" - "I will only have a couple except for special occasions" - "I will only drink beer." - "I will only drink liquor on days that start with T, beer on days that start with W and both on days beginning with S."  (We can get pretty tricky, lemme tell ya...)  The reason I believe this is because I used to be that drinker.  I remember telling myself I was going to cut back, I was going to only drink this much or that alcohol.  I was successful at every one of those promises to myself for a while.  For many many years I won at this game, but the sentence that tells me the truth, "for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink", is staring me in the face.  I ALWAYS made the choice - thinking that that's what it was, a choice - to keep drinking.  Didn't matter what, how much, to what limit, when, where - somewhere in all of these schemes throughout the years, drinking was always part of the plan.  I think the powerful desire to stop comes way too late.  LONG before alcoholism is suspected.  The powerful desire to stop only comes when your life or the way you live it is threatened, and only then do you realize that stopping is not an option, that you have no idea when you stepped over that line in the sand.  I thank God every morning that I found my way out, that I was able to ask for His help before it was too late.  A very small percentage get to do that, and an even smaller percentage never go back.  I want to be a survivor and be there to tell my story to the next alcoholic that needs help, and I choose today to not take that first drink. 

Thank GOD.  Crap, that was close.  Thanks again, dear readers, for being there when everyone else in my life was sleeping :)

No comments:

Post a Comment